Friday, May 22, 2009

Dark Night of the Snow

I loved being a winter baby, at least I'd imagine now that I'm grown. Probably didn't make a difference back when I was zero, so long as my parents dressed me in warm enough clothes. Which they probably did. Yup, I'm sure they did, it gets cold in Chicago.

I like my birthday being in winter though, just three days after Christmas, so what that I get gypped on presents or can never really feel the New Year, I'm like three days ahead of even that goal. Birthdays are new beginnings, didn't you know?

Winter is the darkest time of the year, at least the 21st is. I suppose I'm a week after that, a week further in, a week of increasing light. I'm a week brighter than December 21st will ever be, the darkest and longest night. Light and dark are miracles, dont'cha think?

Sometimes light and dark are all we can depend on. Unless you're one of those balance junkies who prefers equinoxes over solstices. You know, March and September 21sts forever battling June and December for the championship? You decide.

Either you're lightest and darkest like me and my oldest, or holding the middle open for the rest of the year, more politer. I'd probably be an equinox girl like my youngest if I knew what was good for me. Perhaps in time.

For now, I embrace the darkness of my birthday month, my winter. Yes, I KNOW it's summer, please don't wake me up, I'm sleeping. In North America, not flipping the globe on you, call it Indian time if it makes someone feel better.

Could it really be that simple you ask, a life made of just light and darkness? Well, yeah! Our biology answers to nothing but "on" and "off" buttons, the moon and its cycles, you know how that goes.

Well, tune in. Choose light, but never fear the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment